Report on the 'Route Du Rhum' single-handed ocean yacht race
The Route Du Rhum is a single handed ocean race, from St Malo to Guadeloupe; some 3,500 miles along the famous Rhum line. It's a physical and mental sailing challenge - one of the most admired in yacht racing - where skippers need to look after their boats through rough weather, to avoid breakages which can end their race, or reduce speed, whilst still pushing the boats to their absolute limits! There is little opportunity for sleep in these fast and furious sailing conditions, and almost anything can and does happen. This year, out of the 90 boats that started the race, 26 retired with varying problems, such as keels falling off, leaks, damage, collisions and technical problems. Just completing the race is a real achievement!
- Sir Robin Knox-Johnston on aptly named Grey Power came third out of 20 entrants in the Rhum Class.
- Anne Caseneuve won the Rhum Class on her trimaran ANEO.
- Loick Peyron on Bank Populaire was the first boat to arrive in Guadeloupe after 7 days in the Ultimate Class and finished 10 days before the Rhum Class.
- The IMOCA class was won by Francois Gabart on MACIF
- Alex Pella won the Class 40 Class on TALES 2 Santander.
- The Multi 50 Class was won by Erwan le Roux on Fenetrea - Cardinal
Boatshed Performance is a key supporter of the Route du Rhum 2014 race, handling the sale and purchase of competing boats. When the race started from St Malo in France on 2nd November 2014, Boatshed Performance brokers were on hand as main event exhibitors, assisting the competitors, and photographing and listing boat details. Over two million sailing enthusiasts visited the race event before and during the start, before the fleet set off for Guadeloupe in the Caribbean.
- Boatshed Performance is part of the Boatshed Group, one of the largest international yacht brokerages in the world.
- It has handled over 20,000 boats for sale.
- Boatshed operates from 63 locations worldwide.
- It has over 600,000 registered customers looking for boats.
- Its website attracts over 150,000 unique visitors each month.
- Boatshed sells more than 1,000 boats each year.
- Based upon independent industry statistics, Boatshed sells boats twice as quickly as other brokers!
- Boatshed Performance is a central part of that success.